It’s here. One of the most feared weeks known to man: Finals Weeks. This is one of the most demanding weeks in the eyes of us college kids. We’re not always on the academic track, lets face it we wanna have fun, but this is the one week we all acknowledge work has to get done. We have one week to finish up all our classes with tests and essays. This is a week of studying and that’s how it should be! I only say this because I need to get my study on… Continue reading
I am beat after a long week. Last Saturday I got to try something I have never done before- go paintballing!!
I went paintballing through the Wellness and Recreation Center- they have an Outdoor Pursuits program where each semester there are various trips like rock climbing, skiing, horseback riding, and even flying trapeze! Last year I went horseback riding and the year before that I went kayaking. The great thing about Outdoor Pursuits is that they offer students great trips like these for a very small cost. Horseback riding was only $12 and to go paintballing I only paid $20. Typically the price is about $50 to do what I did last Saturday. We were supplied with a face mask, a paintball gun, and 500 paintballs (the color of the day was blue). We went to Cousins Paintball.
Here is a list of the other trips that were offered this semester: Fall 2011 Outdoor Pursuits
I went on the trip with about 40 other students, including my boyfriend and a bunch of friends. I was really scared at first- I had never been hit with a paintball and was worried it would hurt. Luckly it wasn’t so bad, just a slight sting when hit, but the feeling went away almost instantly. There are variations on paintballing, but typically there are two teams, and the objective is to eliminate the other team by shooting them with paintballs. Once you are hit you are out and must hold your hands up as a sign of surrender and leave the playing field. You can also play capture the flag and have the objective be to race to the flag and bring it to your home base without being shot. Here’s some quick rules when you go paintballing:
1. Wear “paint” clothes- That’s a no brainer- where something you are comfortable getting dirty. Trust me, not only will you be hit with paint, but you may go into stealth mode and crawl on the ground- it’s the only way to protect yourself sometimes!
2. Layering is key- I wore leggings and sweatpaints on the bottom, and a tshirt, a long sleeve shirt, AND a hoodie on top. Usually only 2 layers on top is necessary, but it was a bit cold and I was being extra careful.
3. Wear a hat- Most paint ball places will offer you a face mask, but that doesn’t protect the back of your head (and some places may provide a full helmet). To save yourself some money from renting/buying a full helmet put the hood up on your hoodie, bring a hat, or wear both (which I did!). You will get hit in the head or face so be prepared!
4. Embrace being paint shot- look, you will get shot, otherwise what’s the point of paintballing? Don’t be that person hiding out behind a tree for the entire round, take some risks! Bond with your teammates and cover each other when making a daring run to shoot another player or advance into enemy territory. After being shot in the face twice and being ambushed by 3 enemies I am ready for anything.
5. Listen to the refs and keep your face mask on for the entire game- We had two refs with us and they made sure to keep the games in order and keep everyone safe. Apart from the face masks, which were required to be on whenever the refs had theirs on, the paint guns had safety’s near the trigger and coverings for when we moved from paint field to paint field (we even played in a forest).
6. Play Fair!!- If you are shot don’t pretend you weren’t hit- first off it is obvious because paint will be dripping off you. Be fair and leave the playing field if you are hit. Also, do not attack anyone with the intention of hurting them or getting back at them. If someone shoots you and your team loses, don’t hold a grudge and try to repeatedly shoot that person in the next round or something stupid like that. It’s supposed to be fun; with each new round start off with a clean slate.
7. Remember food-Paintball places need a lot of land so there isn’t going to be much food option for lunch. Sure they will offer some packed meals, but don’t rely on their food. We ordered a pizza and had it delivered which worked fine, and plenty of people brought bagged lunches.
But most of all, have fun!!!! I would definitely go paintballing again. My team won most of the rounds, and I think the most entertaining round was watching the Australian students verse the French students; we have a lot of international students and they go on the trips as well. The French team won, but the Australian team wanted a re-match and actually did win. Everyone had a good time and I encourage you all to try it someday!
Here’s some pictures from the day:
That’s all for now folks! Hope this post wasn’t too long, enjoy the weekend everyone!!