I woke up this morning wanting the day to be over. This is unusual for me. Sure enough, as the day passed I found my smile on my face. I also heard myself humming and then singing. (I’m pretty much always singing or humming. Yes, even when walking around… )
What changed my mood you ask?
The simple things, like a bunch of “hello’s” and smiles from others.
From giving a tour, to my nonverbal communication class, to my photography class, to homework for my interpersonal communications seminar, I knew today was going to be long. I’m glad to say that seeing so many warm faces made it better. Note: A simple hello has far beyond more power than we realize. I’m grateful to the community we have here. New Paltz has a very accepting and warm environment
For anyone who also had a “I-don’t-want-to-get-out-of-bed-today” moment, here are a few tips on how not to get though, but enjoy those long of days.
1. Smile. It actually does make you feel better. We talked about this concept in my nonverbal communications class. The biological nature of a smile will actually trigger your body to feel better.
2. Put Your Phone Down! Reach out to your friends, classmates, even the person online behind you at Oscars. Avoid the distractions (I’m working on this too). It’s nice to put your phone down and acknowledge the world around you
3. Live in the Moment. Try not to think ahead. Don’t rush through your day with what’s coming next, but just enjoy the present moment.
4. Eat Healthy. I love food. Make sure you take a few minutes to sit down and eat . I always feel better, mind body and soul kinda better, after eating a good meal. I love vegetables (and cookies).
5. STOP. Take a few moments for yourself. Work out, go for a walk, doodle, treat yourself! I played guitar today, it was relaxing.
* I’m taking a guitar class, Guitar 1, and it’s so much fun! I knew how to play a handful of chords, but now I can string them together better. I also learned how to tune on my own! Guitar 1 is an elective for me, it’s only two credits. I recommend it if you are interested! My “textbooks” for the class are “Guitar for Dummies” and “The Complete Gutiar Player Songbook.” Needless to say this Beatle’s Fan is a happy girl Check back next week for more details! Hopefully I’ll have a new song for you!
Thanks for reading, I hope you all have a great one